Stimulus Funding Programs for Student Members of the Network
Research Training Awards for Clinician Investigators in Geriatric Medicine
(Program not in effect for the period of April 1, 2016 to March 31, 2017)
Description of Award :
- This training award is made possible by a funding partnership whose members are the Quebec Network for Research on Aging (RQRV), the Société québécoise de gériatrie, the Association des médecins gériatres du Québec, four pharmaceutical companies (Janssen-Ortho, Merck Frosst, Novartis, and Pfizer Canada), and the applicant’s home geriatric medicine division/service or department of medicine.
- To fund a program of research training awards for clinician investigators in geriatric medicine in order to increase research capacity in this discipline in Quebec,
- To help increase universities’ ability to recruit excellent candidates and thereby strengthen geriatric medicine as an academic discipline and, more generally, academic research in the field of aging.
Eligibility requirements :
- The applicant must be enrolled in a residence program in geriatric medicine in Quebec,
- The applicant must be conducting a research project in the field of aging as part of a recognized master’s degree program,
- The project must be consistent with the objectives and orientations of the Network’s 2008-2012 Scientific Program,
- The applicant’s thesis supervisor must be an independent investigator as defined by the FRSQ,
- The applicant’s thesis supervisor or co-supervisor must be an active member of the Quebec Network for Research on Aging.
Amount and term of award :
- Equivalent to 12 months’ salary for a resident in geriatric medicine with the same level of training.
Concurrent and additional funding :
- Concurrent funding of no more than $15 000 is allowed,
- Additional funding from the recipient’s institution or thesis supervisor is allowed.
Application procedure :
- Submit as a single PDF document a completed application to the Network’s Scientific Director at firstname.lastname@example.org, including:
- A description of the master’s degree program,
- A description of the research project,
- A letter of agreement from the research supervisor,
- The supervisor’s Canadian Common CV (FRSQ or CIHR version),
- A letter of recommendation from the university director of the division of geriatric medicine,
- A letter of recommendation from the university director of the residency training program in geriatric medicine.
Evaluation procedure :
- Applications will be evaluated by a committee of experts established by the Network,
- The evaluation criteria are the ones typically used by the Fonds de la Recherche en Santé du Québec (www.frsq.gouv.qc.ca),
- Incomplete applications will be declared ineligible.
Recipient’s commitment :
- Complete a master’s degree in research on aging, within no more than two years,
- Fulfil all the requirements of the Clinician Investigator Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. This training program takes 24 months and usually begins after Year 4 of the residency in geriatric medicine. Typically, participants are not registered as residents during the first 12 months of this program, which they devote entirely to their master’s research project. During the second 12 months, they complete Year 5 of their residency while also completing their research project and writing their master’s thesis. (For more on this program, go to rcpsc.medical.org, and, under “Specific standards of accreditation for residency programs”, choose “Clinician Investigator Program”.),
- Acknowledge the Network’s support in publications and presentations.
Host institution’s commitment :
- The applicant’s geriatric medicine division, department of medicine, or faculty of medicine must demonstrate an interest in recruiting such candidates once they have completed their training as clinician investigators and must support the development of their careers as clinician investigators,
- The applicant’s faculty of medicine must also agree to recognize these 12 months of research training as complementary training.
Payment method :
- To be determined with the partners and in accordance with FRSQ rules. The payments will be sent by mail at the recipient’s business address.
Application deadline :
- (Program not in effect for the period of April 1, 2013 to March 31, 2014)